Monday, April 6, 2009

La Garconne

Starting your own blog after reading a thousand other blogs for (what feels like) a thousand years... it's kind of tricky. I've gotten used to internalizing my reactions to street styles, outfit posts, fashion editorials, people's opinion pieces, etc. It's a hard habit to break!

I've been noodling around the La Garconne website recently, a thin strand of drool escaping from my lips as I stare at outfits that would make up my wardrobe of basics... if only I could afford them.


Is it weird that I get so excited about jeans and tee shirts? It's the James Dean lover in me. I can't help it. Here's a slambang (albeit still basic) jacket to break up the monotony:

I'm sure I will write again about my love of the La Garconne la staple, because something deep in my bones cries out lovingly whenever I see pictures like those above. The appeal of a well-fitting t-shirt and pair of jeans is that you never appear to be too far up your own ass when your wearing it. I'm not saying I don't love drama, flash and glamour and the rest of it - it has its place, and fashion wouldn't be fashion without it. But when I see a girl draped in logos and dollar signs, swinging a monster handbag over her shoulder and strutting along, I think:

You would be more beautiful, more interesting, more evocative - in something that acts as a frame for your beauty, rather than simply showing off itself.